These are the audio and transcripts made of tape recordings of Michael Jackson speaking on the telephone to the Stein family from 1990-1992. Michael had been contacted by Glenda’s son Damion Stein sometime around 1984 when Damion was a kid and Michael had written a letter back to the Stein family and a friendship had developed with the family from there. Damion claims that Michael’s phone calls to his family were taped out of jealousy, because Michael had begun spending a lot of time speaking to his mother, Glenda, at all hours of the day, and her husband Sam was apparently becoming suspicious that they might be having an affair.
The tapes were sold in 2005 to gossip news site Hansnews.com, the TMZ of their day, seemingly by Damion Stein. It is not known whether Michael knew about the recordings, but he has never denied them and by all accounts they seem authentic.
The Stein family are: Sam and Glenda Stein, their sons Damion and Jason and daughter Megan.
Download the Glenda Tapes on Divshare
As there have been problems with downloading the tapes via Divshare, I’ve uploaded them to the site. You can right click to download. Let me know if there are any problems with these.
Glenda Tape 1-4
Glenda Tape 2-2
Glenda Tape 2-3
Glenda Tape 2-4
Glenda Tape 2-5
Glenda Tape 3-1
Glenda Tape 3-2
Glenda Tape 3-3
Glenda Tape 4-1
Glenda Tape 4-2
Glenda Tape 4-3
Glenda Tape 4-4
Glenda Tape 4-5
Glenda Tape 4-6
Damion: He adopted my family.
We opened up our family to him and he was kind of another member of the family. He got to experience what a family atmosphere was about. And I think that that isn’t something that he ever had himself.
Narrator: One of the most famous men in the world was now regularly driving out to Orange County to stay in Damion’s spare room.
Narrator: The Michael Jackson show got even more demanding, when the star began calling Damion’s mother day and night, to off load about his traumatic childhood.
Damion: He needed someone to confide in.
My dad would be waiting for my mom in bed, for her to to come to bed, and she would never come. She would be speaking to him in depth on the phone, late hours in the night.
Narrator: When Michael started calling three or four times a day, Damion’s father because suspicious and started to tape his telephone conversations.
It was extraordinary and flattering that a star like Michael would choose an ordinary family to confide his secrets to. But then Jackson suddenly stopped ringing.
Damion: And so we just waited on the phone call and it just never came. It was difficult to accept that.
Narrator: One minute Damion and his family were Michael’s best friends, the next they were sidelined.
I want to add:
– Their friendship with Michael began around 1984 and lasted until 1992. They attempt to make it seem as if Michael was fickle and moved on from one family to the next without hesitation, this fact obviously contradicts that.
– They were not the only family Michael was friends with at the time. Other families Michael was friends with included the Cascio’s, Emmanuel Lewis’ family, the Barnes, the Culkin’s, the Agajanian’s, the Robson’s, Safechuck’s family, the Richie’s, Quincy Jones’s family.
– He says his father only started taping the phonecalls out of jealousy. The phonecalls were taped beginning from at least 1990 (possibly 1987) through ’till 1992 and included Michael’s conversations with daughter Megan, son Jason and even Sam himself. Was Sam hoping to find clues about an infidelity from any of those conversations? Wouldn’t it have been possible to know at some point within the first few months whether there was a romance and not after 2 years and possibly longer if Michael had kept calling?
– There’s a conversation between Sam and Michael were Michael sounds tense and suspicious, “You be asking so many questions”; is it possible Michael stopped calling because he realized the family were taping him or using him?
– Considering the fact that Damion and his family not only did betray Michael by taping him, selling these tapes for money and then appearing in a TV show entitled “Michael’s Boys”, it seems reasonable that Michael had legitimate reasons and suspicions for wanting to end a friendship with them.
– The ominous nostalgic darkly lit tone of the interview with the foreboding music in the background really isn’t manipulative at all, is it? [/EXPAND]
The transcripts organized by the date when they were seemingly taped:
Conversation between Michael and Sam, seemingly about how hard Michael finds it to trust people in relationships (“I can’t afford to mess up”). He’s 32 here so this is sometime between August 29th 1990 – August 29th 1991
This conversation seems to be a continuation of the one above, between Michael and Sam. Assume these conversations take place around the release of LaToya’s book, released February 1991.
Conversation between Michael and Glenda about Joe’s abuse. Michael’s 33 in this conversation so it’s sometime August 29th 1991 – August 29th 1992
Conversation between Michael and Glenda about his appearance. After Dangerous is released in 1991/early 1992.
Conversation between Michael and Glenda about her mother and about Michael’s insecurities. I think this is before he leaves on the Dangerous tour, possibly spring/summer 1992
Conversation between Michael and Glenda about his ex girlfriend and a girl he’s seeing, Melissa. Rehearsals for Dangerous World Tour, June 1992
Conversation between Michael and Glenda about how Joe had just called up to ask for half a million dollars. Father’s Day June 21st 1992
Conversation between Michael and Glenda at the start of the Dangerous World Tour. June 27th 1992, Munich, Germany.
Brandi picks up the telephone, conversation between Michael and Glenda and Michael and Sam about Father’s Day and Germany. 27th of June 1992.
Conversation between Michael and Glenda. Sometime when he’s in Germany in June, 1992, during his Dangerous World Tour
Conversation between Michael and Glenda. Sometime June-July 1992, Dangerous World Tour
Conversation between Michael and Glenda’s daughter Megan. Dangerous World Tour, Monza Italy on July 6, 1992.
Conversation between Michael and Glenda about where she’s lived and about medical things. Summer/Fall 1992, during the Dangerous World Tour
Conversation between Michael and Glenda’s son Jason. First part in June/July 1992 then from around August/September 1992
Conversation between Michael and Glenda about Bill Bray’s gas problems and about the Jacksons TV series. The television series “Jacksons: An American Dream” is coming up so I assume this conversation is sometime in the fall, 1992